Wednesday, January 24, 2018

The Kitchenette.

The Kitchenette

I look around the bleak and dying room.
My family has been torn apart.
Someone was dying in the den;
And now his ashes are resting in my mother’s
Grave.
There is something that is to be said about this
Kitchenette; it is small but brings back a lot of
Memories, some healthy, some not.  I have never
Made a single serving mistake here, when it
Came to feeding my family, and I know what it is
Like to be disowned from your husband or someone
Like that, like your grandmother or your nephew
Or a three-year-old child who is lost.
Once I got lost when I was five years old and no one
Knew for several hours, once I went into hiding
For four hours and no one found me and then I heard
Them ask out loud if I wanted some ice cream,
And if I did that I needed to come out in order to get it.
I guess that was the way to bribe a child, with ice cream.
Slowly and surely, our lives have changed, and we inter-
Change with others; and sometimes, these others
Have kitchenettes that do not resemble ours;
Sometimes their food is not the same and their lives
Are not the same, but they are exactly like us on
The inside, and that is the most important thing about
It.  That we can find a place of recognition so we won’t
Be destroyed, so the ending of life won’t come any
Nearer. 
The destruction is in the kitchenette, not what it represents.

Just what I told my mother after my husband left me.

No comments: