Friday, February 09, 2018

May 17, 2016,

May 17, 2016,

I was out scouting with a friend and we
Found a turkey on the side of the road,
Drenched in sweat.  It was the ridiculousness
That made us stop and stare, and the kindness
That made us help the poor creature.
I gathered him in my arms and walked three miles
To the nearest vet, where he was placed in tender
Loving care.  We had to go over a bridge to get
There, and walking along the side of the bridge,
People would honk their horns at us and wave,
As if we were celebrities or something.
I named the turkey Ki.  Ki was given to an
Animal farm where he lived out his days pecking
At the ground and being someone’s pet turkey.
It was a dream come true for him.  He loved
Every minute of it and loved it even more when
We came to visit and brought over toys,
Even a ball.  There was a small kiddie pool and he
Liked to swim in it.  I never saw a turkey who liked
To swim as much as he did, and I guess that was why
We found him that day, because he was special.

We all felt that.

No comments: