Sunday, July 22, 2018

AFRAID OF PEOPLE.


Afraid of People

The face of the gentle robin washes
Away the sorrow that I feel.
As I look at the forest around me,

I know this is where I feel the most home.
Sometimes I want to move far away
From the city, where the animals and trees
Are, and call it home, but I have food to

Eat and bills to pay and I am stuck
At an apartment, afraid of everything.
I am even afraid of turning on the light
If my back isn’t turned towards the window,

So no one can see me. 
I am afraid of crowds and little children
Running through the streets. 
I am afraid of different things, but

Especially people, with their wide eyes
And their bony knees, and especially their
Expressions of hatred, as I walk down the aisle
Of a grocery store, looking for my can
Of beets that is only .59 cents per pound. 

No comments: