Friday, November 03, 2017

Rebelling Against My Parents.

Rebelling Against My Parents

My father used to work at a radio station before
He became an author.
Standing six foot two at two hundred pounds,
He was my mother’s only lover-long, black hair
And a black bomber jacket, he rode around in a Harley,
Shouting slurs to dumb blondes and country waitresses,
Wishing they would ride on the back of his Harley
With him.
He thought there was something going on between
Every woman he met-online or in person, from the grocery
Store to the library, which I forced him to take me to every
Sunday, just so I could get my hands on a copy of poetry
Magazines that I wanted to submit to as an adult.
I wrote poetry as a child but they weren’t nearly quite good
Enough as the best of the best as I called them-Sylvia Plath;
Phillip Levine; Maxine Kumin, whatever I could get my hands on,
Even the underground poets of the dark web, as my mother referred
To it, since, as a teenager, I wasn’t supposed to talk to people
Online, but I did it anyway, deep in the night when the
Darkness all but thrums in my head, getting me drunk on the
Excitement of getting caught, but not getting drunk from
Alcohol, since I wasn’t supposed to drink any at
That age.
I still don’t drink, and maybe that was one thing that my
Parents taught me, how to be rebellious without getting

Yourself into too much trouble.

No comments: