Sunday, November 19, 2017

Adrift On the Ocean.

Adrift On the Ocean.

Finding the island this far away would require
A heavy debate.  I didn’t want to debate anything
Right now, I wanted to get home.  The sun was
Stretching low over the horizon, glimmering red
Like a ball of fire, and our boat was drifting farther
Away into the great ocean, and we were getting low
On rations-we still had some worms left in the bottom
Of the color, and one spam sandwich I happened to
Snag from the fisherman on-shore.  We were a little
Too far away from the shore for my liking, but the map
We had gave no indication of any off-shore island,
And nothing was above us but clouds and a perpetual blue
Sky.  We were lost.  I knew it without glancing at
My mother or my father, knew it without certainty that
We would never find our way back home.
The sun was warm on our backs and our heads, but the sun
Was sinister in our minds-it could kill us, the longer we
Stayed out here.
Suddenly there was a breeze, ever so slight, and my mother
Took up the paddles and started rowing towards shore,

Her laughter ringing in the quietness.  We were all glad.

No comments: