Sunday, November 19, 2017

At the Height of Summer.

At the Height of Summer

1.

I feel myself slipping
            Away from it all.  Not caring if I ever come
Back.
            I see a vision of myself ten years from now,
Raking leaves in a garden.  This is a promise
            I must make to myself:  to overcome all odds,
            To get out of being broken, used, abused.
Sometimes I see myself as someone else,
Giving myself a second chance at life, a second
Chance at success.
            Then I realize the only thing I eat for dinner
            Is ramen noodles.

2.

At the height of an Indian summer,
You are there, lost in a midst of twine.
            You staple out hunger like a sieve.
            End over end, you begin to sigh.
It is the sigh of the long-lost dying,
            The sigh of someone who has seen
Defeat and risen from the ashes.

            The taste of summer is heavy in your mouth.

No comments: