Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Hercules.


No, Hercules, I am Not In Love, Thank You For Asking

I did not want to wait for the right moment
To break it to you:  that I am not in love,
That I had not been in love, that I will never
Be in love.
We can still write letters, we can still take long
Walks on the beach, we can still dance in
The moonlight.  But only as friends.
You think maybe I’m being too harsh,
That perhaps one day I will fall in love with you.
This I have my doubts.  It’s not that I don’t want
To be in love, I’ve just never really considered
Being in love due to my abusive background,
That my parents were never really in love,
That they didn’t really love us.  I ran away from
Home when I was fifteen years old, got a job
As a bus boy and never looked back.
I can only continue to go forward, and maybe
One day I will write that love letter to you,
Maybe one day I will sing you a serenade,
Maybe one day I will give you what you want.
So no, I am not in love, but tomorrow is a different

Day.

No comments: