Wednesday, March 07, 2018

A Bench In the Park, June 3rd, 1993

A Bench In the Park, June 3rd, 1993

My mother, Gloria, and I were walking down
The street one evening and she commented about
How the moon looked like a giant face. 
I asked her if she wanted to continue the discussion,
And she said yes.  “What kind of face does it look
Like?”  I asked her and she pretty much said
A cookie.
I started to get hungry after that, but we had a long
Way to go and I was on a diet. 
We strolled until we came to the park.  It was
Almost 8pm but we were enjoying the scenery
And the Coca-Colas we were drinking.  It wasn’t
Even a long way back home, just three blocks. 
I saw a bat flying above me and my mother jumped
And screamed, and I laughed.  She didn’t like it. 
“Why don’t we sit on the bench over there?”  I suggested,
Pointing to it.  She agreed.  We walked over to the bench
And sat down.  It was a pretty little picture and I was so
Happy I thought I wanted to stay here forever.
Then a drunk man strolled by, smelling of cheap

Cigars.  

No comments: