Tuesday, February 11, 2020

I DIDN'T THINK I COULD DO.

I didn't think I could do what was supposed to be done,
clock into work and sit in the shadows for a half an hour,
then reemerge, like hanging from the rooftop singing,
in a half an hour I will be gone, I will be dead.
The shadows do nothing to comfort me but in my darkest
hours I am comforted by god and the uncomfortable
feeling on the back of my neck has drifted away into
oblivion, and I am here and I am there and I am everywhere,
I walk home in the pouring rain, everything looking sleek
and wet from the storm previous. It had stopped raining then.
I shake my umbrella dry at the door and go inside, then I
sit down in my chair and tap the desk, I tap the chair along with it,
this feeling of dark, dank coldness in my bones. I am resting now,
resting while sitting in a chair, resting in the darkest dark,
with no light on and the cat scurrying about somewhere, afraid
of the dark, hiding like I want to hide amidst the battle that is
my life, amiss the light that is not mine. I want to hide, but where?
Where is a good place to hide when your world is crashing around
you and there's nowhere to go, no place to turn to except down,
down into a dark tunnel that turns out to be a drug tunnel,

and you wish you could take the drugs but do not.  

No comments: