Thursday, February 13, 2020

I APPLIED.

I Applied

I applied at a college in New Hampshire
and was given a full scholarship.
My mom didn't want me to leave.
As I was packing, she told me about mules-
how they lived, what they did with their
downtime once school let out.
I didn't want to hear it but she kept talking.
She talked as if she couldn't stop,

then she broke into tears and hugged me,
hugged me close and whispered it was
the best thing for me, to venture out
into the unknown, to do things for

myself. She collected herself and left me
to do the packing on my own,
then on the day I was ready to go off to college,

everyone stood on the stoop to wave me goodbye,
not forever, just goodbye, as I start on my
journey towards adulthood, and boy

what an adulthood it was going to be.

No comments: