Thursday, October 26, 2017

Doctor's Visit.

Doctor’s Visit

The stethoscope is cold and slick to the touch.
I don’t know what brought me here, to this place-
The place with the four white walls and the hard table,
The place with the doctor prodding here and there
And everywhere else.  Does this please them,
Every time I come here, coughing up hundreds of dollars
Just for one exam, only to have them say, “You’re well,
You can go home?”  Then when I get home, I become
Stuffed up as a hen, and have to buy the meds and call
The doctor again, and he’s always wanting more-more
Visits, more money, more talks about my life and where it’s
Going, or the books I’ve read.  When, sometimes, I haven’t
Read them at all, I’m just trying to strike up a conversation
Since I have no companionship at home.  I am more alone
Than I ever was when I go to this place with the white walls
And the cool-looking nurses, and the bitter doses of pills
That enter through my throat and down into my stomach,

And sometimes I just wish I wasn’t here.

No comments: